Yogurt is a health food which is nutritionally better than milk. It is a good source of calcium and contains probiotics that are beneficial to the general health and well being. Yogurt is produced through fermentation of milk by lactic acid bacteria, which act on milk proteins to give yogurt its texture and tangy taste. Eating yogurt on a regular basis is not only healthy; it can help shed those unwanted pounds, lose weight and stay healthy. There are many health benefits of yogurt over drinking milk.
- Yogurt is a great source of calcium. We all know how important calcium is for our bones and several other bodily functions. Calcium is required to prevent osteoporosis and for the maintenance of strong bones and teeth.
- Yogurt is a great source of protein. Proteins are the body’s building blocks and help build muscle mass that can help to burn fat. A cup of yogurt could have as much protein as a portion of chicken breast.
- Quite simply, yogurt is a yummy snack that you can have at any time. And it is very versatile. You can add chopped fruit and nuts to it to vary its taste and flavor. You can use yogurt to make a delicious and healthy fruit smoothie or just have it plain. This helps you get a wide variety of nutritional benefits into your diet.
- It is a low calorie treat. Luckily for us, there are various type of yogurt to choose from you have the whole milk yogurt, the skim milk variety and the low fat yogurt to choose from. So you can opt for a cup of flavored yogurt rather than a cake dessert or you can pick frozen yogurt over an ice-cream.
- Yogurt is a natural probiotic. This means that it contains helpful bacteria that are important for the health of our digestive systems. Eating yogurt helps replenish the friendly bacteria that line the gut and aid digestion and hence helps us over come diarrhea, constipation and other digestive problems.