You don’t have to start your day by waking up with puffy eyes. Learn some of the different causes for puffy eyes, and try natural remedies that will make your eyes look fresh in under 15 minutes!
Puffy Eye Causes:
Here are some of the most common causes of puffy eyes:
- Dehydration – when the body gets dehydrated it begins storing water which can cause puffy eyes
- Diet problems – consuming alcohol or eating salty foods before going to sleep
- Allergies – if your puffy eyes are accompanied by redness or itching
- High blood pressure – which pushes fluids into the tissue around the eyes
Puffy eyes can also be caused by diseases like problems with thyroid or kidney infections or simply heredity.
Natural Remedies for Puffy Eyes:
There are many methods of preventing or eliminating puffiness. Here are some natural remedies you can try at home.
- Keep two teaspoons in the refrigerator and when you have an attack of swollen eyelids, rest them on your eyelids for a minimum of one minute or until they warm up.
- Soak cotton pads in a bowl of ice-cold milk and then squeeze most of the liquid out. Place the pad on your eyes and repeat as they warm up for about 15 minutes. They will also brighten the white of the eye.
- Soak black or chamomile tea bags in cold water then place them on your eyelids for about 15 minutes. The tannic acid in tea will constrict blood vessels and reduce inflammation.
- You can use slices of potatoes or apples over the puffy eyes for 10-15 minutes. Potatoes will reduce dark circles under the eyes and apples have pectin which aids in anti-oxidation.
Puffy Eye Prevention:
You can prevent puffy eyes if you get enough sleep, drink plenty of water and never go to sleep with your makeup on.